Monday, December 20, 2010

Be Joy





Today, in my morning time with Jesus I received what felt like the most peculiar direction.

BE JOY.


Huh, God? How do I do that? How do  I be joy?


There is no DO....there is BE. BE joy to the world today, Cari.


Ok, ok...I know what you're thinking....yes, in my head, God sounds like Yoda.  I think he's ok with that. I also think Yoda is the perfect metaphor for my big-power-speaks-softly-but-carries-a-big-stick kind of God, but that is a whole other blog post.

In this 100 joys series, we are all discussing things that bring us joy, looking for joy in our everyday lives, but what about BEING joy.  What does that look like?

What is joy exactly? Webster's dictionary defines it as a state of happiness or felicity or a source or cause of delight.  Which honestly didn't answer any questions for me.  So I asked God.  What is joy....and a list of words came slamming into me...I can't fully recall them all, but here's a start:

Gratitude
Love
Compassion
Worry-free
Light
Unity
Harmony
Peace
Stillness
Presence

The list continued to run through my mind for over a minute.  A barrage of words that summed up the meaning of joy. So today my challenge is to LIVE these words.  To become the physical embodiment of these words in the world.  My challenge is not to look for joy, or recognize joy or even to DO joy.  Today my challenge is to BE JOY.  Will you join me?

In the spirit of sharing Christmas joy, I would love for you to share a comment with me.  One lucky commenter will receive a copy of my book, Living Life with Strings Attached as a gift.  Comment by midnight on December 24 to win.  

What words mean joy to you?